суббота, 18 октября 2008 г.

bmx tricks games online




Donapos;t get used to this, Iapos;d say. My passion in life is music, which probably upsets my mom who is totally wrapped up in books. I like reading and I enjoy quite a few books, but Iapos;m just not into them enough to be writing a lot of reviews. Iapos;d say Iapos;ll only review something if it really, really strikes me in some way. And I donapos;t really see that happening a lot this coming year, considering Iapos;m taking two English courses: one focused on Melville and one focused on pre-16th Century British literature. Yeah. Iapos;ve been planning to read "It" by Stephen King at some point this summer, but I just havenapos;t gotten around to it. My time is taken up by obsessing about David Cook and writing all this crap

Anyway, this is a review of my very favorite book. Iapos;m not someone who rereads books, usually, but Iapos;ve read "The Catcher in the Rye" 14 times. I love all of J.D. Salingerapos;s works actually and my "Mirror Messages" R/Hr fanfic was actually inspired by a moment in his short story "Raise High the Roof Beams, Carpenters"


"The Catcher in the Rye"

One thing I know about myself is that no matter what the medium weapos;re discussing- film, television, books- the thing that will hook me in and keep me coming back is always people. I really canapos;t get into something if I donapos;t care about the characters and thatapos;s always the reason I get obsessed. I fall in love with the people: the relationships they forge with others, the mistakes the make, the successes they have, etc. "Buffy" is clever and interesting and unique and scary and all that, but the reason itapos;s in my heart forever is because I cared about Buffy Summers and her journey. "The Office" is hilarious and wonderful but itapos;s my favorite current show because I like the people and I want to see them succeed. I like songwriters who explore themselves and their personal relationships more than songwriters who right about generic crap that has nothing to do with them.

And thatapos;s pretty much the reason that "The Catcher in the Rye" moves me so much. There isnapos;t much of a plot to this book. Itapos;s basically a fucked-up kid wondering around New York City for three days. But itapos;s emotionally compelling and amazing and heart-wrenching because of Holden Caulfield and what an incredible character he is. My heart just aches for him. Itapos;s so clear that all he wants is a personal connection with someone that means something, and thatapos;s something I can certainly relate to. Heapos;s such a good, simple person at his heart but all his depression and loneliness has really made him complex. I feel like I know him. I feel like heapos;s real and that this really happened, because it could have. Heapos;s easily my favorite literary character ever: he can make me cry in one sentence and crack my shit up in the very next sentence. He tells the story how he wants to tell it and he tells it like a human, with asides and digressions and all the details that he deems important to the story. He leaves things out and youapos;re left to figure things out for yourself. I love Holden Caulfield. Iapos;d be his friend in a heartbeat.

And I love J.D. Salinger. Iapos;ve just never read a writer who has the grasp of language that he does. There isnapos;t any unnecessary verbiage. He writes like a person talks and thinks. He uses really amazing details to make important statements. An example is the way Holden uses suitcases to discuss class differences that can make friendships difficult. He never mentions the fact that heapos;s talking about class and money. Itapos;s just implied. He doesnapos;t SAY that he deeply loved his brother Allie and that his heart is forever broken by Allieapos;s death. You just know that those things are true by the way he talks about Allie and the details he chooses to share.

And, a final note, the speech Holden gives his sister Phoebe about wanting to be "the catcher in the rye" is pretty much the loveliest, most beautiful, most heartfelt thing I have ever read. I tear up every time I read that speech. "The Catcher in the Rye" is one of those little pieces of my life that I could never give up. Itapos;s as much a part of me as the Beatles are. Itapos;s so much more than a book to me.

flat races, bmx tricks games online, bmx tricks games, bmx tricks game online, bmx tricks game multiportail.



Комментариев нет: